Saturday, August 2, 2014

A day in the life of an operations intern



I step out of my truck into the already blistering 10 am sunlight. It’s not but 30 yards to the shade of the warehouse, but I’m already starting to sweat. I walk to the back of the warehouse, put my lunch away for later, enjoy the faint smell of sawdust behind the front desk, and greet whoever might have beaten me to the warehouse this morning. Chances are there is someone sitting at the front desk playing some music and updating the inventory, and someone else is trotting around the warehouse trying to get the supply organized for the days ahead (a task that will never end). Besides the occasional complaint about the heat, everyone is cheerful and ready to get things going.



As an operation intern who is there only once a week, my duties at the warehouse are never the same. Some days, the work is more fun than others, but two things hold certain – it’s gonna be hot (I’ve only been working in the summer, so I don’t know how this job works in the winter – it’s probably still hot), and I’m gonna be lifting some heavy objects. I must admit though, a bit of manual labor feels good for the soul. When the stack of neatly organized floor joists in front of you exemplifies the fruits of your labor, you can’t help but feel a little proud. Maybe it’s just me, but sweating your way through the day makes it that much more rewarding.

The day carries on, and I find myself organizing carpet tiles, disassembling some old wooden crates, processing some new inventory, and talking to the customers that walk in, many of whom are regulars. If I’m lucky, I’ll get to go on a deconstruction trip to pick up some new materials that some gracious donor has provided for us. Pulling a fireplace mantle off a wall or disassembling some cabinets is surprisingly rewarding (carrying them back to the truck, not so much though).




As the day comes to an end, chances are I'm drenched in sweat and covered in dust. Days at the warehouse may be long, but they don't feel long. Almost always on the move with one project or another. I look back on what I have done that day, and knowing that there is a chance that what I have done may have a small impact on the betterment of construction waste management feels good. As an architecture student, this is important to me. If we are to save the planet one day, I truly believe it starts with our buildings. Waste not, learn to conserve. Doing a little dirty work to make this happen is a great opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment